Tuesday, April 14, 2015
My Morning Skin Care Routine
I love everything beauty related, but I have realized that I don't share much in this area on the blog. I'm hoping to change that, starting with today's post!
A little bit of my beauty-related history for you: I have kind of been beauty crazy since I was very little. I remember being about five or six getting ready for a dance show. Mom would get a brush ready with my makeup and tell me where to apply it. I would take the brush, run to the bathroom mirror, apply the swipe, and run back for more. My grandmother would also teach me all about beauty at a very young age whenever I would have a sleepover with her and she took me to my first manicure when I was about five years old. I grew up loving makeup and learning all about it as my parents slowly let me wear it to school and also when I would apply it for dance. I ended up working in the cosmetics department at London Drugs for a couple years while going to university, and after that I worked as a product representative for a makeup line. I am no longer working directly in the cosmetic industry, but I do a bit of freelance makeup for weddings and events - it's mostly just word of mouth right now, but I'd love to do more in the future!
And now on to my morning skincare routine! I have used some sort of variation of this for years and years, but these are the products I am currently using for each step.
1. Cleanser - If I'm showering in the morning, I usually use one of the scrubs that I keep in my shower, but if I'm not showering in the morning I like to use a super gentle cleanser. Since I remove my makeup before bed, I don't have to worry about having something targeted for makeup removal, but this cleanser from Garnier does a wonderful job of making my face feel fresh, even if I'm trying to get a bit of makeup off on those mornings that I wasn't that thorough in removing my makeup the night before. I have used this cleanser for years. It is so simple and I love the fresh smell. I have tried higher end cleansers and just keep coming back to this one.
2. Toner - I used ProActiv for a very short time but for some reason I was left with a huge amount of the toner. I actually enjoy this a lot, but this is my last bottle and I'm not too sure if you can get the old formula now that they have re-formulated their line. I'll probably be switching this out once it's done, because I'd like to give some more natural solutions a try. If you have any toner or toner substitute suggestions please let me know!
3. Serum - This is the step that I sometimes don't do, simply because I don't have any on hand. I do think that serum makes a huge difference, but it's also the first step for me to drop for the sake of time, space, or money. I am currently using the Intensive Renewal Serum from Arbonne and it is fantastic! I have used some of this line before, but I hadn't used more than a sample of the serum and I wish I had gotten it earlier. It helps my moisturizer go deeper, it helps regulate my skin, and it adds to a more radiant complexion.
4. Eye Cream - I tend to switch up eye creams a lot, but I've gone back to the Corrective Eye Creme from Arbonne more than once. The product goes so far, with only half a pump needed to do both eyes. I have noticed the skin around my eyes is firmer, plumper, and fine lines are reduced.
5. Moisturizer - I bought the Origins GinZing Energy-boosting Moisturizer in a set from Sephora and the moment it was gone I had to return to purchase the full size product. A little bit goes a long way with this moisturizer, and I love the smell - especially in the morning when I need a bit of a pick-me-up. The gel-like consistency allows the product to sink in quickly, and there is no oily or greasy residue on the skin.
Those are my favourite morning skin care products in the order that I use and apply them. If you would like more of a review about any of the products I have mentioned, please let me know! I would also be happy to go into more depth about my skincare process and why I go through the steps that I do and the benefits each step provides, just let me know!
What are your favourite skin care products for your morning routine?